Date:      Sat, 1 Jul 2000 19:21:04 +0200
From:      Michel Talon <michel@lpthe.jussieu.fr>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Armada M700?

On Fri, Jun 30, 2000 at 09:52:26PM +0200, Samuel Tardieu wrote:

> Jorgen> Hi, I've got an Compaq Armada M700 which is fairly nice. There
> Jorgen> is one thing that is bugging me though. If I suspend it when
> Jorgen> running X it locks up and can't be resumed in any way other
> Jorgen> than removing the battery.
>
> Jorgen> If I, on the other hand, switch over to a virtual console and
> Jorgen> suspend the laptop it will be properly suspended. And it can
> Jorgen> then be woken up normally.
>
> This is a FAQ, and the answer is "you need to have special support in
> the X server", but as far as I can read I've never seen anyone
> explaining what this support is and why it is not included in the
> XFree86 distribution :)
>
>   Sam

This is certainly not a general feature of the XFree86 distribution. My
laptop, a Dell Inspiron 3500 can be suspended to memory or to disk without any
problem, while running X. It then wakes up correctly, eveything working, mouse
display, sound, and even USB. So it must be some special feature of the video
card in this case.

--
Michel Talon