Date:      Sun, 10 Sep 2000 10:38:49 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, Seigo Tanimura <tanimura@r.dl.itc.u-tokyo.ac.jp>, current@FreeBSD.org, net@FreeBSD.org, brian@Awfulhak.org
Subject:   Re: the ifp to a removed pcmcia ethernet card is left in struct ip_moptions and struct ifmultiaddr

> > Interfaces in promiscuous mode will always result in a reboot.  I
> > *usually* get away with ejecting an active card if it's not in
> > promiscuous mode.
>
> A while back I committed patches to use bpf_detach(), which elminated the
> struct ifnet pointer in the bpf described at detach time.  This removed
> most of the panics I experience on ejecting pccards.  This should be in
> 5.0-CURRENT and 4.1-STABLE.  If you're still experiencing panics, we
> should track it down some more as presumably there is another reference
> (it could also be a race condition, or in-use mbuf during detach?)

I guess with a promiscuous interface, it's a whole lot more likely
that there's an in-use mbuf around somewhere.  That's probably what
panics things I would think.

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@[uk.]FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@[uk.]OpenBSD.org>