Date:      Sun, 8 Oct 2000 18:37:40 +0200 (CEST)
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=E9rard_Roudier?= <groudier@club-internet.fr>
To:        scsi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   New SYM driver version for testing

sym-2.0.0-20001008 is availble from the following URL:

http://people.FreeBSD.org/~groudier/sym-2.0.0-20001008.tar

If you are using SYMBIOS 53C8XX chips, You may give it a try and report=20
problems, if any.

I am currently working on a unified sym driver for FreeBSD and Linux, and
sym-2.0.0 is the result of the first step. In fact, sym-2.0.0 hasn't new
features against stock driver version, neither it supports Linux yet. It
is, for now, a repackaging of the driver files into O/S specific parts +
O/S independant parts (O/S =3D FreeBSD of course :) ). It is obviously not
perfect, neither it is a final work.

The aim is to replace FreeBSD sym + Linux sym53c8xx + Linux ncr53c8xx by a
single driver source package. As verified on sym-2.0.0, the O/S specific
code (when seperated) is less than 25 % of the whole source for a given
O/S. The decrease in driver maintenance (when unification will be
completed) should allow me to provide better support for SYMBIOS chips
under both O/Ses. There is a README file in the above tar file that
summarizes my plans for sym-2 driver development.

  G=E9rard.