Date:      Sun, 6 Aug 2000 11:59:22 +0200
From:      "David TOUITOU" <david@solexine.fr>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Re[2]: Network load balancing hardware ...

On 3 Aug 2000, at 20:22, Gabriel Ambuehl wrote:

> > An Intelligent HTTP Gateway which provides site based
> > Load Balancing,
> > Reliability,
> > Scalability, and
> > Quality of Service.
>
> Eddie's feature list looks pretty impressive but what happens if the
> load balancing box itself crashes?

There's no single point of failure in Eddie's technology.

Load balancing is done through a modified DNS box (you can put as
many as you want).

The traffic coming out of the web servers (or whatever) goes through
"front end servers", and there too you can put as much as you need.

Even the Internet access" is not a true SPF as you can use several
ISP (add at least one modified DNS and front end server per ISP), and
even geographical load balancing.

I'm currently studying an Eddie solution between France and the US.
Sounds great...

Only "bad points" :
 . the DNS is only 4.9.x, YET
 . no true Windows (NT or 2K) back end software, YET (as we are using
   IIS web servers, corporate policy sometimes sux)

 David Touitou                                    http://dites-le.com
 SysAdmin and co
 Solexine