Date:      Sun, 22 Jul 2001 15:51:40 -0400
From:      Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
To:        Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
Cc:        "Freebsd-Advocacy (E-mail)" <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: your mail

On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 10:55:23AM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> I don't think we should assume that they mean reliability when they
> say stability. For all we know, they could mean they think FreeBSD is
> changing a lot right now, and so they want to wait for a 5.x release.
>
> It's not uncommon for companies to make decisions like this, wether it
> makes any sense or not.

Oh, waiting makes a lot of sense.

(Before anyone reads the below: the community has been very
supportive.  I have nothing but good things to say about people.)

I'm writing a FreeBSD book.  It's targeting 5-stable.  Unlike many
FreeBSD books, this one actually exists as a huge sheaf of paper, a
contract, and a due date.  To have a book that covers 5-stable in the
store at the beginning of the time when 5-S is being used, I have to
be tracking -current.

However, after tracking -current moderately closely, and not merely
reading but assimilating cvs-all, -current, -hackers, et al, for a
year, all I can say is:

God, kill me now.  Just kill me where I stand.  Lightning bolts from
heaven would be acceptable.  So would a meteor strike.  Plagues of
flesh-devouring cockroaches with razor-sharp mandibles that slice bits
off you one square millimeter at a time until they leave your gleaming
bones and gibbets of cartilidge drying in the sun would be just
peachy-keen dandy.  From an outsiders' perspective, the "thrashing" in
current is unbelievable.  Just do an archive search on, say,
"diskcheckd".  Or "lukem-ftpd".  And, as I slide down the razor blade
of life towards the due date, I see devd looming up like a big knob at
the end of the bannister.  Writing accurate documentation that will be
valid for more than two months is a hideous task.

This thrash is, of course, necessary to improve FreeBSD.  FreeBSD will
be better off for it.  The improvements in 5-S will be tremendous, and
I think 4.x kicked some serious butt.  Having used FreeBSD since the
2.0 days, I think every release has made some big changes.

Technical books have a long history of short lifespan -- a year,
eighteen months, and that's it.  I'm expecting to have to do a second
edition for 6.0, of course, but I'm hoping to avoid a second edition
for 5.5.

There's rewards, of course.  If I can keep getting out a good book for
each .0 or .1 release, it'll be quite gratifying.  I'll get a good
rep, people will want to hire me to run their FreeBSD networks, blah
blah blah.

Right now, 4-stable is approaching its end-of-life.  It isn't dead
yet, by any means, and will be in common use for at least another
year.  But would a software company want to develop a product for
4-stable at this point?  I doubt it.  And it *appears*, from an
outsiders' perspective, that 5-current is a rollicking roller coaster
without barf bags.  This appearance is a big disadvantage for an
open-source project.  (Of course, the closed-source folks do the same
things, you just don't *see* it.)

Or maybe it's just me.  You know, I should shut up now, go back, and
rewrite the diskcheckd section. Again.

==ml

--
Michael Lucas