Date:      Sun, 09 Dec 2001 00:56:50 -0800
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.freebsd.org>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>, "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>, Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>, Kirk McKusick <mckusick@beastie.mckusick.com>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Proposed auto-sizing patch to sysinstall (was Re: Using a larger block size on large filesystems)

>     /var/tmp and /home are fairly standard partition names... nothing
>     new in my book.  I certainly didn't invent them!  In particular,

Well, from my perspective you might as well have invented /var/tmp, at
least, since that's a filesystem I *never* create.  I either move /var
entirely off of / (with no sub-mounts) or I leave it there, depending
on the mission profile of the machine.  /home, yeah, *sometimes* I
make /home its own filesystem and sometimes I have it linked to
/usr/home or /vol1/local/homedirs or somesuch.  You see my point?
We're already in disagreement that there's anything "standard" about
those two at all since our "standard practices" vary considerably, and
that's just the two of us disagreeing.  Add several hundred thousand
more people to the mix and now you have a lot of people expending
keystrokes they didn't have to before, deleting these two new and
entirely gratuitous creations of (A)uto.

Why tie new mechanism and new policy together, I say.  Introduce the
more powerful default sizing mechanism as a general improvement first
and then go to the next level and introduce proper profiles, don't
just add two pet filesystems from your list and consider that
particular problem somehow solved.

- Jordan