Date:      Sun, 16 Dec 2001 04:50:37 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>
To:        David Greenman <dg@root.com>
Cc:        Anthony Atkielski <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Why no Indians and Arabs?

On Sat, 15 Dec 2001, David Greenman wrote:

>>Why does a person's nationality or ethnicity matter?
>
>   It doesn't, and the moment that it starts to matter we have a problem. As
>already pointed out by Terry, we do in fact have Indian and Arab developers,
>some of which I've had the pleasure of becoming friends with. A person's
>nationality or ethnicity has never been a criteria for participation in
>FreeBSD development (or anything else except skill, competence, and ability
>to get along with others).

To me this is one of the more interesting things about open source
software development in general.  The ethnic diversity is amazing.  I
understand the context in which Greg asked the question.  I know he
didn't mean to imply that it mattered as such, but it is academically
interesting.  For instance it might be cool to see a world map with dots
representing the homes of the committers and those on the contributions
list in the handbook.  It would be an interesting exercise in seeing
just show diverse and enlightened a community a project of this size
supports.  I know over the years I've been impressed at some of the top
level domains I see regularly communicating over the FreeBSD mailing
lists.

Brandon D. Valentine
--
"Iam mens praetrepidans avet vagari."