Date:      Sun, 14 Jan 2001 09:18:56 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
Cc:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>, Matthew Thyer <thyerm@camtech.net.au>, Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>, Edwin Culp <eculp@encontacto.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /boot/kernel/kernel: swap_pager_getswapspace: failed

In message <200101140636.f0E6ajX43032@earth.backplane.com>, Matt Dillon writes:

>    MFS is very inefficient.  I didn't fix that... it isn't possible to
>    fix it without a lot of work.

The real fix is to make "struct buf" more object oriented, so that
instead of
	bwrite(bp)
one does
	bp->b_op[BOP_BWRITE](bp)
(possibly through a suitable #define.)

Once this is in place, the UFS layer doesn't have to operate on a
disk and the following things should be within our grasp:

	Mounting of filesystems in plain files (rather than using vn)

	A real VMFS or TMPFS which uses UFS as naming for anonymous
	VM objects.