Date:      Thu, 24 May 2001 01:25:15 +0200
From:      Roelof Osinga <roelof@nisser.com>
To:        Roelof Osinga <roelof@eboa.com>
Cc:        freebsd-database@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Interbase/Firebird on FreeBSD 4.3 ??

Roelof Osinga wrote:

> Has anyone been able to 'make install' the firebird port on FreeBSD
> release 4.2/4.3? I tried and failed miserably, alas.

Due to circumstances I had to wipe and reinstall a box. It currently
runs 4.3-RELEASE. On this box I just installed Firebird and thus got
a clue to what might have been troubling me beforehand.

At the end of the install procedure it said that it was not unheard
of that an install would not run after installation. This had to
do with a semaphore process being made active during install. Then
it refered the reader to /usr/local/firebird/RELNOTES.

So I read them. In those notes it spelled out what it was and how to
fix it. Then it made a very interesting remark. To wit, that the very
same problem might also occur when a PostgreSQL 7 server was in service.

So guess what?

Another saillant detail is that a find done in the ports work directory
finds no RELNOTES document. Since it seems to be rather crucial as well
as only availble after a successful install... that note suggests
stopping PostgreSQL. Due to circumstances I'm not able to verify
whether or not this would indeed make those install problems go away.

Roelof