Date:      Sun, 11 Feb 2001 10:14:11 +0100
From:      Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@petra.hos.u-szeged.hu>
To:        sesshin <sesshin@swbell.net>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cpu compatability

Hello,

On Sun, Feb 11, 2001 at 01:55:51AM -0600, sesshin wrote:
> Greets-  I stared at a number of pages looking for some ref to cpu
> compatability for FreeBSD.  I assume that it will work on all variants of
> the x86 flavor cpu chip.  If there are compatability issues w/some of those
> currently avail (such as Intel Celeron, AMD Duron, Cyrix, etc.) it would be
> nice to have in the FAQ.  If nothing else some mention that "there are
> currently as of such-&-such date no such issues" would provide psychological
> re-assurance for the paranoid newby (holds up hand - "Yo!").

Well, I am not aware of any issues on the x86 at present, esp not with
"currently available" models. It should run without a hitch. That's why it
is not mentioned:-) (There are hacks for some old Cyrix CPUs, but those are
really anything but "current":-)

> Some brief
> mention of other cpu supportage such as Motorola 68K found in Amiga & other
> older boxes like Sun, Oleveti, ATT B2, etc.; or DEC Alpha based boxes; or
> Motorola PPC based boxes would possibly also be helpful.

To be honest, the FAQ is not the best place to find all the hardware
details at present, it is more of a listing of "frequently asked for"
devices, or those that have known quirks and require some whacking to start
working. For a more complete listing, please see:

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/<name_of_your_arch
here>/<latest_release>/HARDWARE.TXT

Where <name_of_arch> can be either i386 or alpha, and latest release is
4.2.

and some of the other *.TXT files in the same directory. But be aware that
FreeBSD at present only runs on the i386 and on the Alpha architectures.
The other CPU types you mention are not supported at this time.

--
Regards:

Szilveszter ADAM
Szeged University