Date:      Sun, 15 Apr 2001 00:36:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>
To:        caa@midgard.dhs.org
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XFree86 4.x server in a vmware guest

------=_2:w5GUEEM1)5SV+UDmb7i6oGMi4hS25ZBs7ZmvF(6F-4=7AHclzgq5+GXceY

> I installed XF86 4.0.3 & this driver, and it's really slow.  Is there
> anything that can be tweaked to get it back to a decent speed?

When I tried it ran reasonably fast for me, given the expectations you
should have from VMware. Of course, a lot depends on the abilities of your
host's X server (or equiv if you're running a [yuck] Windows host).

> Also are the message about cfb32ScreenInit, cfb32CopyPlane,
> cfb16ScreenInit, & cfb16CopyPlane being unresolved due to something I
> need to define when building xf4?

I didn't see those, so I don't know. I ran the X server from the ports,
FWIW.

By the way, for those interested, I did find what I conclude to be a bug
in this driver regarding the XF86VideoModeExtension. One would expect that
when this extension requests a change in the screen resolution that the
window (in the host) would simply resize itself. This does not appear to
happen. The guest gets an indication that the resize took place, but
nothing happens in the host. This can be demonstrated by full-sizing a
program that uses SDL, for example.

------=_2:w5GUEEM1)5SV+UDmb7i6oGMi4hS25ZBs7ZmvF(6F-4=7AHclzgq5+GXceY

DQo=

------=_2:w5GUEEM1)5SV+UDmb7i6oGMi4hS25ZBs7ZmvF(6F-4=7AHclzgq5+GXceY--