Date:      Sat, 22 Dec 2001 23:01:54 -0800
From:      "Peter Ong" <peter@haloflightleader.net>
To:        <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Cabletron E2200 Series NIC (ISA)

Hello,

I need some help.  I've spent nearly an entire 2 days and a half trying to
figure out how to enable this hardware.  Let me detail my experiences:

Objective:
Enable Cabletron E2200 Series ISA NIC on my FreeBSD 4.4-Release

Given:
FreeBSD 4.4-Release
Compaq XE 560 (Pentium 60MHz/40MB)
Cabletron E2200 Series DNI ISA NIC

This is a partial output of my dmesg:

isa0: <ISA bus> on motherboard
isa0: too many dependant configs (8)
isa0: too many dependant configs (8)
isa0: too many dependant configs (8)
...  <snip>...
unknown: <Cabletron E22 Companion> can't assign resources.

This is the data according to the software configuration utility diagnostics
from Enterasys/Cabletron:
IO Port 1 = 300
IO Port 2 = 280
IRQ = 10
DMA = 3
Media = Auto
No boot ROM

This is the output of pnpscan -v
pnpscan -v
CSI2201 : Cabletron E22xx Adapter
CSI2202 : Cabletron E22 Companion
CTL009c : Creative SB32 PnP

Data from Windows98SE
Creative CD1220E
Generic IDE Disk Type 65
Generic NEC Floppy Disk
Cabletron E2200 Series DNI /Primary IRQ 15, DMA 7 IORange 0300-0319
Cabletron E2200 Series DNI /Secondary IORange 280-0299

Actions Taken:
1.  Installed FreeBSD4.4-Release on my Compaq XE 560.
2.  Downloaded configuration utility software from Cabletron/Enterasys.  The
NIC is controlled completely via software.  There are no jumpers and
switches.
3.  Read documentation from Enterasys/Cabletron, FreeBSD, and Linux for
clues as to how to make this device work.
4.  Edited the /boot/kernel.conf to have the appropriate IO/IRQ/DRQ
settings...  this is on the lnc0.  I'm assuming that this is the driver for
this NIC.
5.  The kernel is GENERIC, and I also have a recompiled vesion called VIATOR
6.  I am trying to use the lnc driver for this.  According to the physical
NIC itself (I opened the box) it was an AMD/PCnet card.  There were 2
choices pcn and lnc.  I haven't tried pcn.
7.  Posted the same question in comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc.
8.  Joined mailing list for some more help.
9.  I also installed Windows 98 SE to confirm the NIC is not broken.

was was unbelievable on a Pentium 60.  I didn't think it would work, but it
was just intollerably slow.  I smell really bad right now because I'm sick,
I haven't showered in the last two days trying to get this NIC to work.  The
Cabletron E2200 series isn't in the FreeBSD HCL, but there were hints that
it was supported by Unix clones from other sites.

The NIC sits in the middle of three ISA slots inside my Compaq XE 560.  It's
#2 according to the plastic case.  There is only one physical NIC, but in
both Windows 98 and FreeBSD it shows as two different parts (please consult
"given" section).  The utility from Cabletron also gives it two IO ports.

Can someone please tell me if my attempt is futile, that it really isn't
FBSD supported, or if it's just a misconfiguration on my part?  I really
hope that it's just a misconfiguration because I'm broke.  I don't want to
buy another NIC, and even if I had the money to buy a new NIC, I wouldn't
spend it on this POS!  In the meantime, I'm going to unplug for a bit.  I
really hope that someone out there is listening.  If Santa was a techie,
this would be my Christmas wish.

Thank you, and a happy holiday season to everyone.

Peter