Date:      Mon, 21 May 2001 00:24:01 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@ns.sol.net>
To:        hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: We seriously need a cleanup on ftp-master

> My guess is there won't be many signing up for the archive role.
> Mirror operators typically need to justify their existence to someone.
> *Usually* that justification will be having locally what it takes to
> do a FreeBSD install and wind up with a current machine.  That's not
> what all end-users want to do but that's what the bulk of them want to
> do.  If a mirror operator is willing to store more than what you
> propose ftp.freebsd.org would hold that's nice of them but I don't see
> where being a site that has older stuff only is going to attract a lot
> of folks.  I could be wrong of course.

As an archival site right now, I'll agree that there's not a lot of folks.
However, the justification for such sites is the folks who do find it
useful.

I have FreeBSD releases dating back...  well, way back.  I didn't do the
ports or packages, just the base OS.  There's a fair number of accesses
to these.  I don't have 5000 people logged in on the server or anything,
but it's nice for stuff to hang around where it can maybe be found.

Try to remember that the purpose of all this is to serve the users...  it
is really irritating for a user to run across the need for something and
then be told to upgrade to -stable to get it.  Some stuff just doesn't
work on newer FreeBSD's, or works better on older ones.