Date:      Tue, 19 Jun 2001 12:47:28 -0400
From:      "Jason Francis" <jasonf@citynet.net>
To:        <freebsd-i18n@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD Unicode support

------=_NextPart_000_001E_01C0F8BD.FF3C6770

One of the arguments made by microsoft for switching the Hotmail =
frontend to Windows 2000 was the need for foreign language support.=20

"Hotmail had the requirement to launch in new markets, and did not want =
to continue to invest in keeping the FreeBSD locale tables up to date =
and other maintenance activities. China and Japan are two important =
growing markets for MSN, so multibyte character sets had to be =
supported. FreeBSD lacked the necessary Unicode support."

I want to know if there is any real merit to these claims, or if it's =
just more marketing drivel from Microsoft.

I often use central european characters, but I have never needed to do =
so under my FreeBSD systems.  I have noticed, however, that an ls on my =
mp3 shares reveals that characters such as =
e,s,c,r,z,=FD,=E1,=ED,=E9,=A7, and u appear as question marks.  This =
lack of support is preventing me from moving soley to a FreeBSD =
environment.

Is work being done to bring Unicode support to FreeBSD that will allow =
it to have better support for globalization and foreign languages?

------=_NextPart_000_001E_01C0F8BD.FF3C6770

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>One of the arguments made by microsoft =
for=20
switching the Hotmail frontend to Windows 2000 was the need for foreign =
language=20
support.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>"Hotmail had the requirement to launch =
in new=20
markets, and did not want to continue to invest in keeping the FreeBSD =
locale=20
tables up to date and other maintenance activities. China and Japan are =
two=20
important growing markets for MSN, so multibyte character sets had to be =

supported. FreeBSD lacked the necessary Unicode support."</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I want to know if there is any real =
merit to these=20
claims, or if it's just more marketing drivel from =
Microsoft.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I often use central european =
characters, but I have=20
never needed to do so under my FreeBSD systems.&nbsp; I have noticed, =
however,=20
that an ls on my mp3 shares reveals that characters such as =
&#283;,=9A,&#269;,&#345;,=9E,=FD,=E1,=ED,=E9,=A7,=20
and &#367; appear as question marks.&nbsp; This lack of support is =
preventing me from=20
moving soley to a FreeBSD environment.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Is work being done to bring Unicode =
support to=20
FreeBSD that will allow it to have better support for globalization and =
foreign=20
languages?</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_001E_01C0F8BD.FF3C6770--