Date:      Sun, 15 Jul 2001 14:40:06 +0400 (MSD)
From:      Alexey Zakirov <frank@agava.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Background processes limiting

On Sat, 14 Jul 2001, [windows-1257] Matīss Elsbergs wrote:

> >Giving them a limit of 5 would mean 4 background processes, since there
> >shell would use the 5th... I dont know if there is another way, but this
> >seems like a simply answer :P
>
> yeah, that was the first thing that came into my mind..
>
> But 4 bg processes roughly for free shell users means 4 eggdrops.. Or BXses,
> or something like that - very nice for user, but a hell for a old crappy BSD
> box.

Giving shell access does NOT mean giving access to internet for user.
We've run public shell boxes (free web hosting) for 3 years and I didn't get
any DoS from such users. Yes, we use jail(8) widely and after logging into
system user can't do anything like eggdrops because it is 172.16... net.
Just a overlapped jail. So we don't care about amount of processes those
users run. BTW if you want to run a shell box you definitly need the patch
from PR/18209 (http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=18209).

*** WBR, Alexey Zakirov (frank@agava.com)