Date:      Sun, 30 Sep 2001 05:13:54 +0000
From:      Michael Collette <metrol@earthlink.net>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: To those reboot hang sufferers

I really need to watch this list closer.  My apologies Warner.  I really do
appreciate the effort your putting in here, and I feel apologies are in order
for not replying sooner.

As to the answer, it looks like I am.  Here's some of my dmesg where pci
stuff is concerned.

pcic0: <TI PCI-1250 PCI-CardBus Bridge> mem 0x7fffe000-0x7fffefff irq 11 at
device 12.0 on pci0
pcic0: Polling mode
pcic0: TI12XX PCI Config Reg: [speaker enable][pwr save][CSC serial isa irq]
pccard0: <PC Card bus (classic)> on pcic0
pcic1: <TI PCI-1250 PCI-CardBus Bridge> mem 0x7ffff000-0x7fffffff irq 11 at
device 12.1 on pci0
pcic1: Polling mode
pcic1: TI12XX PCI Config Reg: [speaker enable][pwr save][CSC serial isa irq]

For those folks on this list having to pull batteries out to get a power
down, I may have a reasonable work around for you.  Pull out the nic card
prior to issuing the "halt" command.  For whatever reason, pccardd seems to
properly get out of the way of a shut down when it detects the card is no
longer in the slot.  Both "halt" and "reboot" work properly every time when I
do this.  With the card in the slot, it hangs every time, even if I manually
kill pccardd.

This seems to be working on a stable build a couple of weeks old, as well as
one I just did about a day ago.

Now it seems that I have a new issue.  I configured this box for ipfw, and I
got the rules to play nice and all except for one teensy problem.  The ipfw
rules load up on boot prior to the nic card registering.  ipfw is smart
enough to not add rules for interfaces that don't exist, so it just don't
happen until I manually reload the rules file.  Seems I recall another thread
somewhere on this list talking about this.  Now I know what they were talking
about.

Later on,

PS: It is still cooler than all heck running FreeBSD on this here laptop.
Even with the glitchies, I'm having a LOT of fun with this thing.  Warner, I
don't think any of us can thank you enough for all the effort you've put in
to help make this possible.

Warner Losh wrote:

> If you get a hang on reboot after the Uptime message, I have a
> question for you:
> Are you using polling mode?
>
> Warner

"A short saying often contains much wisdom."
 -Sophocles