Date:      Sun, 25 Feb 2001 12:48:47 +0100
From:      "Julian Stacey Jhs@jhs.muc.de" <jhs@jhs.muc.de>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?q?Graham=20Guttocks?= <graham_guttocks@yahoo.co.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Compaq PA-1 MP3 player

=?iso-8859-1?q?Graham=20Guttocks?= wrote:
> "Julian Stacey Jhs@jhs.muc.de" <jhs@jhs.muc.de> wrote:
> > /usr/ports/sysutils/pib (an X front end) looks at /usr/ports/INDEX & sees,
> > (told to search on mp3) about 10 ports. Try pib, or vi -c/mp3
> > /usr/ports/INDEX !
>
> And how exactly does this answer my question?  It doesn't.

Really ?  See below.

> > PS Cross posting bad !
>
> Huh?

You posted cc'd to both
	 freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
which is Not approved, if in doubt send commands such as
	help
	info questions
	info hardware
	info multimedia
	info ports
through the mail list to
	majordomo@freebsd.org
& read the definitions of the lists you subscribed & posted to.
Your question seemed more appropriate to questions@ &/or multimedia@,
rather than hardware@
If you dont know what cross posting is, enroll at classes for internet basics.

You originally posted (entire post) as follows:
---
> Subject: Compaq PA-1 MP3 player
> I have one of those Compaq PA-1 portable MP3 players.  Are there
> any utilities that run under FreeBSD that I can use to interface
> (upload/delete files, etc) with the player?
---

You seemed a clueless novice ( no offence intended - everyone's clueless
sometimes, just that some are prepared to learn, & some not ) with no idea
where or how to look, so as on freebsd mail lists many prefer to help people
learn how to research their own questions, rather than support clueless
burdens for ever, I told you, (& for note by others who often also don't
know about pib & ports/INDEX either) how to help yourself look for your own
ports/ answers:
	cd /usr/ports/sysutils/pib; make install ; rehash ; pib
	Or	vi -c/mp3 /usr/ports/INDEX
Another poster helpfully added:
	Or	cd /usr/ports ; make search key=mp3

I didn't check out content of those 10 ports, that's your problem &
your work to do, not mine.
Even if all the 10 ports don't do what you want, if you go to
the 10 /usr/ports/ directories listed by the commands above, type
	make expand
then examine the source & doc files contained, & go to the web
sites supporting those software packages, you will find pointers
to software that does do what you need, without consuming mail list
bandwidth & volunteer attempted helper time on such a basic & easily
researched personal search.

Next time you want some software, use the FreeBSD search tools first, &
when you post, if you tell us where you've researched already, we'll know
where not to waste time suggesting things you've already tried.

Use the search methods I & the other chap detailed.  If you don't try to help
yourself, as detailed, conclusions may be drawn as to wether or not you are
a burden worth helping, on this or future problems.

Julian
-
Julian Stacey     Unix Consultant - Munich Germany     http://bim.bsn.com/~jhs/
        Considering Linux ?     Try FreeBSD with 4500 packages !
 Ihr Rauchen => mein allergischer Kopfschmerz !  Kau/Schnupftabak probieren !