Date:      Sun, 14 Oct 2001 11:18:47 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Conrad Sabatier <conrads@home.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: aviplay with 24-bit color depth?

On 10-Oct-2001 Oliver Fromme wrote:
> Conrad Sabatier <conrads@home.com> wrote:
>  > Does anyone else have problems using aviplay at color depths higher
>  > than 16 bits?
>  >
>  > If I run X in 24 bits (savage driver on S3 Savage 4), I get no video,
>  > just a static, unmoving, completely scrambled display in the aviplay
>  > window.  I can hear the audio OK as the video plays.
>
> I've had similar problems on my laptop (S3 Savage-MX chip,
> 8 Mbyte VRAM):  aviplay worked fine in 16bit, but didn't in
> 32bit.  Of course I wanted to use 32bit.  I was using some
> not-so-up-to-date XFree86 4.0.xxx version (don't remember
> exactly).
>
> Well I finally decided to upgrade to the latest 4.1.0, and
> guess what -- avifile worked fine in 32bit mode afterwards.
> So I'd recommend that you check your XFree86 version and
> upgrade, if necessary.  Worked for me.

Hmmm.  I'm running the latest version of X from the ports collection, and
still the same behavior.  I get the same thing in mplayer unless I use the
-vo switch to force a particular visual setting.

Strange.  I'm wondering if there may be some X module I should or shouldn't
be loading.  My XF86Config is pretty bare-bones at the moment.

--
Conrad Sabatier <conrads@home.com>

Do something unusual today.  Pay a bill.