Date:      Sun, 11 Nov 2001 12:36:19 -0800
From:      "Phil Webb" <philwebb@piperain.com>
To:        <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Howdy!

Just poppin' in to say hi, so "HI"!

There, I'm done with it!  :)

I have been piddling with FreeBSD since 4.0 but now am getting "serious"

with it.  I work for a large office supply chain selling computers etc.
and
occaisonally folks come in with *nix questions so I suppose I should
have a
reasonable grasp of it eh?

I am pretty familiar with Windows (even got XP to dual boot with FreeBSD

4.4 on this machine) and run FreeBSD on 2 machines at home.  That way if
screw one up, I have something to compare to!

At any rate, I am now starting to actually get around fairly well and am

even getting dangerous.  To Wit: re-compiled the kernel and got my
onboard
sound working (Oh happy day!) and walked around with a swolen head for a

couple of days.

I have Greg Lehey's "Complete FreeBSD 3rd edition" and have Annelise
Andersons book on order (waiting impatiently I might add!:) ).  Nothing
beats the printed word for untangling messes.

Now my goals are to get the CD drives to play music CD's as well as burn

(on the burner of course), get SAMBA working so The Wife can print
across
our little network and get my own dadgum printer working.  Unfortunately
my
HP 932c, while a great little printer doesn't support Postscript.  :(

As I saw in another thread, *nix does require one to pay attention to
details, so thats good exercise too!  To that end I suppose I'd better
learn to type well.  At the moment the backspace key seems to be my best

friend in KDE. Once I start with vi I'm really gonna be in trouble!  :)

Anyway, just a word of encouragement to the frustrated and thanks to
those
who help.

Have Fun!

phil