Date:      Thu, 8 Feb 2001 16:26:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      John M Vinopal <banshee@abattoir.com>
To:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   sharing pci irq == conflicts

FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE
HP Vectra XU 6/180 Dual PPro
used as a gateway

Solid in uniprocessor mode, but in SMP it sporadically generates watchdog
timeouts on both ethernet interfaces, which then persist and lock down the
interfaces.  Seems to be the same problem reported on Dec 25, 2000 by
Vic E Loukatch as "FREEBSD TROUBLE" in -stable.

I suspect the problem here is that they are sharing irq 11 and somehow
getting out of sync.  When I reconfigure irq (free them from isa use),
the system runs fine.

-j

>Changing APIC ID for IO APIC #0 from 16 to 2 in MP table
>APIC_IO: MP table broken: 8259->APIC entry missing!
>Programming 16 pins in IOAPIC #0
>IOAPIC #0 intpin 2 -> irq 0
>FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor motherboard
>cpu0 (BSP): apic id:  1, version: 0x00040011, at 0xfee00000
>cpu1 (AP):  apic id:  0, version: 0x00040011, at 0xfee00000
>io0 (APIC): apic id:  2, version: 0x000f0011, at 0xfec00000

>dc0: <Intel 21143> port 0xff00-0xff7f mem 0xfffcc000-0xfffcc3ff irq 11 at device 12.0 on pci0
>miibus0: <MII bus> on dc0
>xl0: <3Com 3c905-TX> port 0xff80-0xffbf irq 11 at device 13.0 on pci0
>miibus1: <MII bus> on xl0

MPTable, version 2.0.15

MP Floating Pointer Structure:

  location:                     BIOS
  physical address:             0x000f95c0
  signature:                    '_MP_'
  length:                       16 bytes
  version:                      1.1
  checksum:                     0x2f
  mode:                         Virtual Wire

MP Config Table Header:

  physical address:             0x000f95d0
  signature:                    'PCMP'
  base table length:            236
  version:                      1.1
  checksum:                     0xe0
  OEM ID:                       'HP      '
  Product ID:                   'XX          '
  OEM table pointer:            0x00000000
  OEM table size:               0
  entry count:                  21
  local APIC address:           0xfee00000
  extended table length:        0
  extended table checksum:      0

MP Config Base Table Entries:

--
Processors:     APIC ID Version State           Family  Model   Step    Flags
                 1       0x11    BSP, usable     6       1       0       0xfbff
                 0       0x11    AP, usable      6       1       0       0xfbff
--
Bus:            Bus ID  Type
                 1       ISA
                 0       PCI
--
I/O APICs:      APIC ID Version State           Address
                16       0x11    usable          0xfec00000
--
I/O Ints:       Type    Polarity    Trigger     Bus ID   IRQ    APIC ID PIN#
                INT      conforms    conforms        1     1        255    1
                INT      conforms    conforms        1     0        255    2
                INT      conforms    conforms        1     3        255    3
                INT      conforms    conforms        1     4        255    4
                INT      conforms    conforms        1     5        255    5
                INT      conforms    conforms        1     6        255    6
                INT      conforms    conforms        1     7        255    7
                INT      conforms    conforms        1     8        255    8
                INT      conforms    conforms        1     9        255    9
                INT      conforms    conforms        1    10        255   10
                INT      conforms    conforms        1    11        255   11
                INT      conforms    conforms        1    12        255   12
                INT      conforms    conforms        1    13        255   13
                INT      conforms    conforms        1    14        255   14
                INT      conforms    conforms        1    15        255   15
--
Local Ints:     Type    Polarity    Trigger     Bus ID   IRQ    APIC ID PIN#
                NMI      conforms    conforms        1     2        255    1