Date:      Mon, 20 Aug 2001 14:58:35 +0200
From:      Joachim =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Str=F6mbergson?= <watchman@ludd.luth.se>
To:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Bye bye dear SMP-system

Aloha!

Ok, I belive I'm experiencing a HW failure but would just like to check
with you guys.

I have been a very happy owner of a FreeBSD SMP system. The machine runs
on dual Celeron 533 CPUs on the ABIT BP6 MB. It has been a very stable
and nice system even though it might not have the straight line, single
process speed.

Lately however I have experienced hard lockups that forces me to hit
reset. I've survived so far (thanks to Soft updates I pressume). One of
the big SW changes have been the move to XFree86 4.1.0. Also, I have
probably let kernel and system come out of sync [1].

Checking this I therefore dropped out of X and made a buildworld, single
user installworld and mergemaster. Suddenly I got a lock in while
merging. Since /etc hadn't been updates no major harm was done.

I noticed however that Win98 worked smoothly and semed to be more stable
that the SMP-system. (No, I'm not trolling ;-). This sounds seriously
wrong. This got me thinking in terms of SMP vs UP.

I therefore compiled a new kernel with the only difference compared to
the SMP kernel was that SMP was turned off. I have now been running on
this kernel for 8 hours in X with mozilla (another suspect since I
recently started using it). So far everything seems fine.

So, a few questions:
(1) Is late 4.3-STABLE and 4.4-RC unstable in SMP mode? I suspect not,

(2) How to go about catching the lock? Console doesn't show anything,
the machines simply freezes over,

(3) Any BP6-user with similar experience that have any ideas?

I'm not running overclocked or anything like that.

I've included the latest dmesg. (It's the UP dmesg).

Any help and pointers would be very helpful.

[1] I guess I'm not the only one tracks stable on a weekly basis, and
then once in a while realises that a new driver or thingy needs to be
changed in the kernel and therefore simply rebuilds and installs a new
kernel while not building && installing world everytime. Yes I hang my
head in shame.

--
Med vänlig hälsning, Cheers!

Joachim Strömbergson