Date:      Sun, 10 Jun 2001 13:40:34 +0200 (CEST)
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Trond_Endrest=F8l?= <trond@ramstind.gtf.ol.no>
To:        Pete French <pfrench@firstcallgroup.co.uk>
Cc:        <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Very odd clock problem

On Sat, 9 Jun 2001, Pete French wrote:

> One of our FreeBSD machine is starting to loose time very badly. Odd as it
> is running ntp from 5 different servers. Its also not a small loss, the
> clock jumps backwards to the year 1933 ! Anybody got any ideas or seen
> anything similar ?

Check your hardware, make sure everything has good electrical contact.

I took out the video card from one of our test servers a few weeks
ago, cleaned the video card's bus contacts and put it back into the
server.

Before that the time-of-day was speeding up, NTP got confused so I
used timed instead, timed had to pull back the time-of-day by 40-50
seconds every four minutes. (We use both NTP and timed at this site,
most servers use NTP, but one server cannot handle NTP yet since it is
running RISC/os.)

After cleaning the video card the time-of-day is running normal, NTP
is now able to syncronize, and the colours on the monitor are back. I
later replaced the video card with another video card just to be safe.

Let me just add that the faulty video card was a ISA card, whereas the
new video card and the NIC are both PCI cards.