Date:      Sun, 19 May 2002 00:45:12 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <crist.clark@attbi.com>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Restricting umasks in periodic scripts

On Fri, May 17, 2002 at 03:20:28PM +0100, Brian Somers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to poll arch for opinions on the attached patch.  Whilst
> I believe I've plugged all of the existing umask-type problems in
> -current (soon to be MFC'd re@ willing), it's usually better to be
> safe.

Personally, I don't like. I'd rather not have to use root to review
{mount,dmesg}.{to,yester}day for example, and there is no reason to
try to hide the information they contain.

But I understand why some files should default to no world or group
read permissions. Maybe customizing this is something we can work into
the NetBSD-style startup? :)

As for -STABLE, I haven't really heard any complaints? Might be a bit
late to change the status quo before 4.6-RELEASE.