Date:      Mon, 8 Apr 2002 14:53:22 +0200
From:      Christophe Prevotaux <c.prevotaux@hexanet.fr>
To:        Josh Paetzel <friar_josh@webwarrior.net>, ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de
Cc:        administrator@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de, mikea@mikea.ath.cx, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-atm@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP with VIA chipset system lockups

On Wed, 3 Apr 2002 21:50:55 +0000
Josh Paetzel <friar_josh@webwarrior.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 04:04:21PM +0200, Administrator IPA wrote:

> > Hello out there.
> >
> > We have several SMP machines around here, one is a ASUS CUV4X-D based
> > system. This machine never have had any lockups as you described.
> >
> > Another system, a TYAN Thunder 2500/Slot 1 system with ServerWorks ServerSet III/HE
> > chipset had today its 'spontanous' reboot.
> >
> > With TYAN's mainboard I had a lot of trouble and it seems not to be only a issue of the
> > chipset itself!
> > TYAN Thunder and ASUS CUV4X-D have problems with IRQs, I guess, especially when using more
> > than one Intel EtherExpress (fxp) NIC.

Well I do have problems with the ASUS CUV4X-D and I am using the integrated
fxp ethernet interface , one DG500SX DLINK Gigabit Ethernet board and a PCA200E-SMF
ATM card in the same machine. Under Linux they worked absolutely flawlessly

I am using

# To make an SMP kernel, the next two are needed
options         SMP                     # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
options         APIC_IO                 # Symmetric (APIC) I/O

# The `hfa' driver provides support for the FORE Systems, Inc.
# PCA-200E ATM PCI Adapter.
#
options         ATM_CORE                #core ATM protocol family
options         ATM_IP                  #IP over ATM support
options         ATM_SIGPVC              #SIGPVC signalling manager
options         ATM_SPANS               #SPANS signalling manager
options         ATM_UNI                 #UNI signalling manager
#

I also have APM enabled , but I am going to try with

APM disable

in my KERNCONF and see what happens

Christophe Prevotaux        Email: c.prevotaux@hexanet.fr
HEXANET SARL                URL: http://www.hexanet.fr/
Z.A.C Les Charmilles        Tel: +33 (0)3 26 79 30 05
3 Allée Thierry Sabine      Direct: +33 (0)3 26 79 08 02
BP202                       Fax: +33 (0)3 26 79 30 06
51686 Reims Cedex 2
FRANCE                   HEXANET Network Operation Center