Date:      Sun, 8 Sep 2002 16:52:12 +0200
From:      Vincent Jardin <vjardin@wanadoo.fr>
To:        freebsd-atm@freebsd.org
Subject:   scope of the ATM sockets.

I am using the HARP stack in order to open many ATM sockets. The HARP stack
supports 2 kinds of ATM interfaces:
 - the NIFs: the network pseudo-interfaces that provide point-to-point
interface to the IPv4 layer.
 - the PIFs: the physical interfaces over which the NIFs run (for example
hfaX).

When a PVC socket is opened with the HARP stack, I would like to be able to
choose the PIF before calling connect(), however it looks that the options of
the socket (see setsockopt  T_ATM_NET_INTF) require a NIF name and not a PIF
name.
It means that at least one NIF has to be created for each PIF in order to be
able to choose the PIF with which the ATM socket is connected.

I am wondering, how can the PIF be selected without beeing obliged to create
the NIFs ?
Are there any patch of the HARP stack in order to support this feature ?

Thanks,
  Vincent