Date:      Sun, 10 Nov 2002 03:08:57 -0500
From:      "Omer Faruk Sen" <freebsd@faruk.net>
To:        freebsd-cluster@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: clustering freebsd

Hi.

I want to share my experiences about HA in FreeBSD. We haven't much choice
in FreeBSD for clustering. I have read about Sporner's
(http://sporner.dyndns.org/freebsdclusters/ ) project a few days ago but
didn't set it up. It seems promising but I think it lacks file replication?
And I really want to hear from him about maturity level of his product.

I have installed polyserve's (www.polyserve.com) clustering software for
FreeBSD. It does nice on HA and File replication. I can suggest it but it is
commercial product.

Michael I think you need to learn clustering terms. You may want to look at
www.linuxvirtualserver.org and www.ultramonkey.org. Especially ultramonkey
has nice pictures that depicts everything. Ultramonkey is a part of vanessa
project and vannessa also includes super sparrow (which is a global HA
solution that uses BGP for the nearest route). Anyway go and look at the
pictures at ultramonkey.

There is also linux-ha.org project that is being or was ported ( I don't
know the maturity level of it) to FreeBSD. I think that project is very good
for HA @ FreeBSD.

Someone mentioned VRRP. There is also vrrp implementation in FreeBSD which
named freevrrpd (/usr/ports/net/freevrrpd).

To conclude Linux is better in clustering solutions we have to admit it :(
despite FreeBSD is better in networking (my personal thoughts).

PS: I think we can set up a FreeBSD Clustering page just like www.lcic.org
does which provides information articles .... I can arrange a web page, ftp,
cvs for it.