Date:      Thu, 21 Mar 2002 09:00:23 -0500
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        Sean Harding <sharding@dogcow.org>, Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Possible bug with mkdir() in linux emulation?

On Thursday 14 March 2002 02:29 am, Sean Harding wrote:
| On Wed Mar 13 at 10:19:20 AM, Andrew Gallatin wrote:
| > as to be able to find linux shared libs & config files.  So your
| > program is trying to make /compat/linux/home, which doesn't exist &
| > which you do not have permission to create.
|
| Ahhh! Indeed. A symlink from /home to /compat/linux/home made it work.
|
| So, I guess my question is whether this is a bug or a feature. Obviously,
| it's necessary in order for some things to work (shared libraries,
| etc.). However, as the Mozilla bug demonstrates, it also breaks some
| things that assume that /home is /home is /home. Does $HOME get
| /compat/linux prepended to it when Linux binaries try to get my home
| directory?

I thought that the emulation algorithm was to use, upon receiving a request
to open /foo, /compat/linux/foo if it existed, but otherwise to use /foo.
In this case, /compat/linux/home did not exist (right?), so I don't see why
it should have been using it.

So either:

a) I am confused, or
b) It is indeed a bug.

My money's on (a), but could anyhbody explain *how* I'm confused?

--
Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                ME -->  http://www.babbleon.org