Date:      Sun, 2 Jun 2002 20:05:39 +0200
From:      "a.s.gruner" <plankalkuel@encephalon.de>
To:        freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ipfw+natd+ppp problem

Hi.

I have some problems with setting up ipfw+ppp+natd on my FreeBSD
4.6-RC machine.

ppp is working perfectly (user ppp).

Now I want to run ipfw as firewall and natd for the windows box.
FreeBSD Box has the interface xl0 with the IP 192.168.0.1
Windows Box has the IP 192.168.0.2
I can ping both of them.

But i am not able to connect to the internet with the windows box via
the freebsd box.
Ok, first the configuration:

/etc/rc.conf:
(just the parts for ipfw and natd)

gateway_enable="YES"
firewall_enable="YES"
firewall_script="/etc/firewall/fwrules"

natd_program="/sbin/natd"
natd_enable="YES"
natd_interface="tun0"
natd_flags="-dynamic"

/etc/firewall/fwrules:

ipfw add 65534 allow ip from any to any

Yeah, i know there is no rule right now, it is all allowed. Well, on my
FreeBSD Box everything is working perfectly.

Ah, my kernel, i insert these lines and compiles a new one before i did
the above changes:

options         IPFIREWALL
options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE
options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=100
options         IPDIVERT

On my FreeBSD Box wwwoffle is also running, but if this proxy is running
or not, there is no difference, windows box cant get to the internet....

On my windows box i cant ping to the outside, and cant get a webpage at
all.

I am running ppp like:

#ppp
>dial internet

Hmm, well, i hope i havent forgot anything, so that someone can help me
out of this.

Uh, i read that, before natd is running, ppp has to run. Well, i am
using a dial up modem connection and i dont want to run ppp on startup,
so, is this the problem that i am running natd before i run ppp ? Well,
if i kill natd, run ppp (connect to the internet) and start natd again,
the windows box cant get a connection too.

On the Windows Box, i have insert the DNS Server IP, like the one on the
freebsd box in resolv.conf, and, the gateway IP is the IP of the freebsd
Box, 192.168.0.1 (xl0).

asg