Date:      Mon, 4 Mar 2002 11:38:56 +0100
From:      "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>
To:        'Mikhail Kruk' <meshko@cs.brandeis.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Ugrade from linux-jdk to native

Dear Mikhail,

> > Is there? Microsoft's Java VM has always been one of the
> best, if not the
> > very best. The MacOS X port is brand new.
>
> http://rsb.info.nih.gov/plasma2/
> in case you want to see it.

Thanks. 74fps in Opera for Windows on my box. :-)

> Is MacOS X really brand new? Did they port it like FreeBSD
> porters do, or did they write a new VM from scratch?

I'm not sure. You'd have to look at Apple's site. I was more referring to
that Microsoft's VM has had time to stabalize on the platform, while the
MacOS X one hasn't.

> Also is it me, or is each new release of Sun's JDK much
> slower than the previous? (with teh exception of 1.3 being faster
> than 1.2, but than again everything is faster than 1.2). I mean 1.4
> seems much slower than 1.3 to me. I know, know, it has a superior
> JIT technology and everything, but...

I have not tried 1.4 yet, but I hear the same from my coworkers. 1.2.2 was a
dog, and I guess 1.4 is going to be one too. Write once, crawl anywhere. :-)

    Kees Jan