Date:      Mon, 19 Aug 2002 11:05:23 +1200
From:      Calvin Varney <calvin@varney.org>
To:        absinthe@pobox.com
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Please review: new Java Project docs

Although you haven't asked for feedback on the documentation section
I'd like to comment on "4.4. Proposal for Porting Java Applications
and Tools"

1. If JAVALIBNAME is defined as ${PORTNAME}-${PORTVERSION} a symlink
   for ${PORTNAME} would be useful for managing dependencies.

2. Why should Javadocs be treated differently from ordinary
   documentation and placed anywhere other than ${DOCSDIR}? Javadocs
   are just another form of documentation and should be excluded when
   installing ports with NOPORTDOCS.

3. Regarding placing all library JAR files are in
   ${JAVAPREFIX}/classes/${JAVALIBNAME}/

   a. Everything java involves classes. As this is a directory for
      just library classes would "lib" or "import" be a more
      appropriate directory name?

   b. Placing each library jar under its own ${JAVALIBNAME} directory
      will create many subdirectories with just one jar file (or few
      if different versions are installed). I'd suggest just placing
      them in ${JAVAPREFIX}/classes (or lib or import...). If a
      library includes more than one class file and isn't packaged
      within a jar a ${JAVALIBNAME} subdirectory could be appropriate
      or they could be jared during installation.

   c. Is there a need for ${JAVAPREFIX} at all? Why not install
      libraries in ${PREFIX}/share/javalib or
      ${PREFIX}/share/javaimport.

      I'm not sure of the intentions behind the additional java in the
      ${PREFIX}/share/java/classes hierarchy. I don't think
      ${PREFIX}/share/java is the right place for docs or examples and
      applications should reside in ${PREFIX}/share or ${PREFIX}. Are
      any other ports installed under a subdirectory denoting their
      implementation language?

4. Is there a need to break away from the existing standard of placing
   examples in ${EXAMPLESDIR} (default:
   ${PREFIX}/share/examples/${PORTNAME})?

Just my thoughts.

--