Date:      Sun, 29 Sep 2002 03:56:47 -0500
From:      Matthew Metnetsky <met@uberstats.com>
To:        FreeBSD Mobile <freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org>
Subject:   On the Go with FreeBSD and KDE

As I'm a college student I'd like to be able to take my laptop with me fr=
om=20
class to class.  Take notes, play games, etc etc.  However, I've got a fe=
w=20
questions / problems. =20

1)  Is there some sort of 'standby' mode like Windows has so that the com=
puter=20
doesn't take as much power, and also is ON.  I have at most 10 minutes=20
between classes and really don't want to turn off the laptop just to boot=
 it=20
up again 10 minutes later.  And then repeat this 4 times a day.  Any Idea=
s?

2)  My laptop runs KDE.  Whenver I close the top while its running, and t=
hen=20
reopen it, it goes on the fritz (i guess would be the best way to say it)=
=2E =20
Basically, the middle visual gets cut in half and goes to the top and bot=
tom=20
and the middle is just a solid weird color, and the mouse has no 'real'=20
action on anything.  Is there anything I can do to stop this?  One reason=
 for=20
this is...I have a cat, who when I'm around likes to disobey me.  So it w=
ould=20
be nice to be able to close the top when I leave the room for a few minut=
es=20
and not worry about the cat poking, clawing, sneezing on the monitor.  Wh=
en=20
its closed, he seems to leave it alone (the monitor glow seems to attract=
=20
him).  Currently I move the laptop up high - but he's getting older and=20
smart...so this tactic won't last forever.  Ideas??

As always, any help would be greatly appreciated.

~ Matthew