Date:      Sun, 20 Oct 2002 17:42:08 +0200
From:      Harald Hanche-Olsen <hanche@math.ntnu.no>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 100 Mbit/s is (a lot) slower than 10 Mbit/s

+ Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>:

| As others have mentioned, it sounds like a duplex problem.

I experimented on my home network (just my stationary machine and the
laptop connected back-to-back via a twisted cable).  They were both
running half duplex, with the problems I described.  When I switched
them both to full duplex, the speed went from slow to glacial.
Playing with tcpdump shows massive packet loss, where activity happens
in burst with up to 5 second pauses in between.  Each time the sender
receives another ack, it will happily fill up the window with new
packets, oblivious to the fact that the receiver has lost more packets
further back...

| If you still want to experiment with speed:
|
| 'ifconfig ed0 media 10baseT/UTP' (assuming UTP wiring rather than coax).

Thanks.  The ed(4) man page does not mention this (the dc(4) one
does), and I could have sworn I had tried it anyway and found it not
to work.  But that was several FreeBSD releases ago, so maybe things
have changed, or maybe I just had finger trouble back then.  This will
probably be my solution at the office.  I don't really need 100 Mbit/s
access for most of the stuff I do with the laptop anyway.  And if I
do, I'll go buy a better card.  Thanks to all who responded.

- Harald