Date:      Sun, 17 Feb 2002 00:04:38 -0800
From:      Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>
To:        Farooq Mela <fmela0@sm.socccd.cc.ca.us>
Cc:        Jai Dhar <jdhar@curry.turban2000.net>, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mplayer problem

--==_Exmh_1254959136P

> Jai Dhar wrote:
> > I'm using the latest build of Mplayer, "MPlayer 0.60-2.95.3", and my CPU
> > usage redlines at 100% when playing any clips of any sort. I'm using a P4
> > 1.4 with 1 gig of ram, so I dont think my box is the issue, and i'm trying
> > to use SDL as the vo driver. x11 has same problem, but I did not have this
> > problem in linux (not that linux is better :p), does anyone have any
> > suggestions/ideas?
>
> You need to set up your MUA to wrap your lines, 72 characters is a
> good width.
> Did you set up MPlayer to make use of any of your CPU's MMX, MMX2, and
> SSE features?  I believe the file is called config.mak in the mplayer
> build directory, edit that before running make so it can use those CPU
> instructions.

Hmm. If you use the port, you need to take action if you want to /disable/ the
CPU-specific optimizations, which are all used by default (and
auto-detected/disabled as appropriate by the mplayer build procedure).

Did you add:

	options         CPU_ENABLE_SSE

to your kernel config? This apparently helps - and it's needed for SSE.

My PIII 600Mhz laptop plays SDL @ ~35% CPU fullscreen, although I prefer DGA,
which gives better results (sharper images, better motion) and, using 25% CPU
for fullscreen, allows you to usefully post-process frames with your excess
CPU too.

When I run mplayer, it says:

MPlayer 0.60-2.95.3 (C) 2000-2002 Arpad Gereoffy (see DOCS!)

CPU vendor name: GenuineIntel  max cpuid level: 2
CPU: Intel Celeron 2/Pentium III Coppermine,Geyserville (Type: 6, Stepping: 6)
CPUflags: Type: 6 MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 0
Compiled for x86 CPU with features: MMX MMX2 SSE

Cheers,

AS

--==_Exmh_1254959136P

--==_Exmh_1254959136P--