Date:      Mon, 23 Dec 2002 13:50:02 -0600
From:      "Douglas K. Rand" <rand@meridian-enviro.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Home MP3 juke-box

I'm building a Xmas present for a friend who is about done building a
new house. (OK, so I'm not gonna have it done by Xmas. :))

I'm thinking about a FreeBSD box with a few audio cards (to drive
different audio "zones") that would play either (or both) MP3 and Ogg
Vorbis files. It should be controllable from a remote of some kind,
such as X10, or something else. A web interface to make and customize
play lists would be nice too.

And it should also able to rip and encode CDs. If that is as easy as
inserting a CD, great. Or having to do that via the web interface, or
even the console would be acceptable.

I'm looking for advice on the different parts for this, both hardware
and software. What audio cards should I consider? How much CPU do I
need? And what software to tie all this together with?