Date:      Sun, 21 Apr 2002 12:05:32 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@texas.net>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: network traffic analysis with a network switch

On Fri, 19 Apr 2002, Michael Smith wrote:

> What I would like to be able to do is somehow send copies of
> network traffic to the RH box without having to move it
> between the FreeBSD box and the switch.  Is this possible
> and if so, how would I go about setting this up?

With the right switch you can do this easily.  It requires a managed
switch with the ability to have a "monitoring" port.  You can copy
traffic to/from one port to another port, or if the switch allows it,
all of the traffic on an entire VLAN to a port.

--
 Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
 FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet