Date:      Sun, 03 Feb 2002 01:12:16 -0700
From:      "Charles Burns" <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>
To:        jylefort@brutele.be, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Security: FreeBSD vs OpenBSD

>Your enlightenments are useful, I especially felt enthusiast while browsing
>the TrustedBSD website.
>
>However, at this point of the thread, I should probably precise my toughts.
>
>I wonder if the security reputation of OpenBSD is only based on the fact
>that they ship the system in a secure by default mode, or if the OpenBSD
>kernel itself is more secure than the FreeBSD kernel.

I'm no expert on OpenBSD (or FreeBSD, for that matter) but I get the
impression that OpenBSD's great security record is due to its almost
complete lack of default packages (i.e. almost no server daemons are
installed by default) and its source code auditing.

In reference to the first: Don't install any packages that you don't need
and remove any that are already there that you do not need, or replace them.
Problem solved.

In reference to the second, any time a security bug is found in OpenBSD, I
am sure that the FreeBSD programmers are going to fix it if it applies to
FreeBSD (which it probably would--they are similar OSes) and FreeBSD has
code auditing of its own, which I am sure OpenBSD benefits from to some
degree.
I personally prefer FreeBSD for everything, but it is a matter of
preference. As far as whether OpenBSD's kernel is more secure... Probably
not. The vast majority of security flaws in a given OS are flaws in the
software packages that are running, not the kernel. I cannot say that the
OpenBSD kernel is less secure authoritatively, though.