Date:      Mon, 14 Jan 2002 02:03:06 +0700
From:      Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.pp.ru>
To:        small@freebsd.org
Subject:   Small FreeBSD but not crunched

Hi!

While PicoBSD is really great for tiny applications like 1.44M floppies,
it's sometimes desirable to have generic but small installation.
Sysinstall can fit minimal system to 200Mb HDD/8Mb RAM and
system will work smoothly. Sometimes I need more.
For example, using <150Mb HDD and <8Mb RAM.

It is possible to install small world using /etc/make.conf's features
line NO_SENDMAIL=true etc. I can make ~67Mb world with 4.5RC1 and
it can be easily stripped to <50Mb by removing static libs etc. Very good.

The last question is kernel size. F.e., I need HDD, sio ports and kernel
level ppp for PPP-only networking system. There is not problem with 8Mb RAM
but it's very hard if I have 4Mb only. Minimal kernel I could built
still takes >2Mb of RAM. The system can boot to multiuser if it has some
swap space but it swaps heavily even when there are only 4-5 processes running.

So the question is: how can I reduce kernel (and kernel memory),
are there some 'hidden' options not mentioned in LINT?
Using 2.2.x is not an option when I need dummynet with WF2Q.

Here is a smallest configuration I could reach. It still takes more
than 2Mb for kernel memory.

machine		i386
cpu		I686_CPU
ident		EP
maxusers	4

options		MAXMEM=4*1024		# that's for testing on developer's
					# machine
options		INET
options		FFS
options		FFS_ROOT
options		COMPAT_43

device	isa0

# developer has "small" installation on the second hard drive
device	ata1	at isa? port IO_WD2 irq 15
device	ata
device	atadisk

options ATA_STATIC_ID

device		atkbdc0	at isa? port IO_KBD flags 0x01
device		atkbd0	at atkbdc? irq 1

# try to reduce vga and syscons drivers

device		vga0	at isa? port ?
options		VGA_NO_MODE_CHANGE

device		sc0	at isa?
options		SC_NO_CUTPASTE
options		SC_NO_SYSMOUSE
options		SC_NO_FONT_LOADING
options		SC_NO_HISTORY
options		MAXCONS=2

device		npx0	at nexus? port IO_NPX irq 13

device		sio0	at isa? port IO_COM1 flags 0x10 irq 4
device		sio1	at isa? port IO_COM2 irq 3

pseudo-device	loop
pseudo-device	ppp 	2
pseudo-device	pty