Date:      Sun, 3 Mar 2002 06:04:53 -0500
From:      Jake Burkholder <jake@locore.ca>
To:        freebsd-sparc@freebsd.org
Subject:   freebsd/sparc64 bootable iso available

I've put up a bootable ISO image, which can be used to install a system
relatively easily.  I've tested it on an ultra 10 with the onboard ide
and an ultra 60 with sym scsi, should also work on ultra 5s and blade 100s
at least.  The cd boots multi user and has a binary distribution tarball
on it; you can use system on the cd to install on disk.  The root password
is abc123.

Use the tools on the cd to label, install the bootblock, and newfs your
drive, then mount your partitions and untar the tarball in root's home
directory on them.  I put up a transcript of an install on an ultra 60.
When labeling your drive be sure that the partitions are on cylinder
boundaries, the disklabel format requires it.  Insert usual warnings
about experimental software and destruction of data.

http://people.freebsd.org/~jake/sparc64

In that directory is also a copy of the binary distribution on the cd
and a loader and kernel which you can use to setup an nfs root system
and install on disk from there.

If everything goes well this will be put up on the main ftp site in
the next few days.

Enjoy.

Jake