Date:      Sat, 9 Mar 2002 22:25:35 -0800
From:      "Nick Popoff" <nick@bloodletting.com>
To:        <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   stable buildworld failed: undefined sysctlnametomib

Greetings,

I sent this question to questions@freebsd last week but didn't hear back so
I'm hoping someone on the stable list might have an answer...

I've been trying to upgrade my laptop from 4.2-S to the latest stable for
the last few weeks without luck.  At first I assumed it was a temporary
bug in stable but now I'm thinking there's something wrong with my setup.

% cvsup /usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-cvsup
% cd /usr/src && make buildworld

Eventually this fails with the following error.  I've searched all over
but can't find anyone else suffering from this.  Tips on what to do?

------------------

===> sbin/kldconfig
cc -O -pipe    -I/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/include -W -Wall
-Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith
-Wno-uninitialized -Wreturn-type -Wcast-qual -Wwrite-strings -Wswitch
-Wshadow  -c /usr/src/sbin/kldconfig/kldconfig.c
cc -O -pipe    -I/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/include -W -Wall
-Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith
-Wno-uninitialized -Wreturn-type -Wcast-qual -Wwrite-strings -Wswitch
-Wshadow  -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/lib -static -o kldconfig kldconfig.o
kldconfig.o: In function `getmib':
kldconfig.o(.text+0x2d): undefined reference to `sysctlnametomib'
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/sbin/kldconfig.
*** Error code 1