Date:      Sun, 1 Dec 2002 11:55:58 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 5.0

On Sat, Nov 30, 2002 at 08:12:48PM -0600, Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
> When FreeBSD 5.0 comes out, will there then be a RELENG_5 branch for cvsup?
> Will this branch be updated on a regular basis, or will it only get updated
> when Release-5.x (x>0) or FreeBSD 5-Stable come out (which I gather from
>  the web pages will not be for quite a while)?

The release of FreeBSD 5.x-STABLE and the creation of the RELENG_5 tag
are essentially the same thing.  Yes, there will be a RELENG_5 tag
(not a branch).  There will be a RELENG_5_0_RELEASE tag and presumably
a RELENG_5_0 branch, although 5.x probably won't be the number 1
choice for production use until 5.1-RELEASE (There are plans for a
4.8-RELEASE in the meantime, which is what will be recommended for
that purpose).

As far as I know, there are no plans to make major changes to the
release engineering process in the near future, so the following
should hold true:

At the same time as 5.0-RELEASE, the HEAD tag in cvs will start to
refer to the new 6-CURRENT which will bear the same relationship to
5.x-STABLE as 5-CURRENT does to 4.x-STABLE now.  As ever, RELENG_5
will be a moving target containing the latest stuff MFC'd from
6-CURRENT.  Releases from the 5.x series will be snapshots of RELENG_5
made at regular intervals.  The RELENG_5_x branches created at the
time of each release will be mostly static, being updated only for
security problems or major bugs.  Exactly the same way as the
RELENG_4_x branches work at the moment.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way