Date:      Tue, 18 Feb 2003 10:18:22 -0800
From:      Johnson David <DavidJohnson@Siemens.com>
To:        Haikal Saadh <wyldephyre2@yahoo.com>, freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSD architecture over Linux?

On Saturday 15 February 2003 04:52 pm, Haikal Saadh wrote:

> o Debian's packaging system has optional dependencies, whilst the
> closest this freebsd has is using WITH_SOMETHING or WITHOUT_SOMETHING
> in while make'ing. (Either  that or hack makefile :D )

Just so everyone knows, Debian's packaging system is not magical. Their
optional dependencies are conceptually no different from our make
variables. The major difference is that theirs works with binary
packages while ours don't.

And besides which, Debian is just one distro out of hundreds. This
doesn't give Linux an advantage over FreeBSD, because the most common
package format under Linux is still the b0rken RPMs.

David