Date:      Mon, 29 Dec 2003 03:32:35 -0800 (PST)
From:      Rostislav Krasny <rosti_bsd@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   IRQ 2 problem

Hello everyone.

I have ISA PnP network card based on UMC UM9008F chip. This is NE2000
compatibly card and it have IRQ 2 in its PnP IRQs list. FreeBSD 5.0 and
5.1 produced kernel panic with this card (I think because of IRQ 2).
FreeBSD 5.2-RC1 and 5.2-RC2 have no kernel panic with this card but
they both can't work with this card anyway (because of IRQ 2 too). I
wrote into freebsd-current and freebsd-hardware mailing lists about
this problem but I didn't receive any response. Finally I found a
discussion in freebsd-arch mailing list's archive about the above
kernel panic. In that discussion John Hay <jhay@icomtek.csir.co.za>
proposed a patch to sys/isa/pnpparse.c file, so it will disallow IRQ 2
for ISA PnP devices. But this patch wasn't committed yet and above
kernel panic was fixed by some else way. I tried John Hay's patch in
FreeBSD 5.2-RC2 and I discovered that the above network card is finally
working well in this patched system.

You can find the above discussion about John Hay's patch there:
http://docs.freebsd.org/mail/archive/2003/freebsd-arch/20030831.freebsd-arch.html
You can find my last email to freebsd-hardware mailing list there:
http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?20031221224741.3821.qmail

Could someone explain me why John Hay's patch wasn't committed and is
it possibly to commit the same patch now before FreeBSD 5.2-RELEASE is
released?

Thanks

P.S. Please Cc your replies to my email address, as well, because I'm
not subscribed to any freebsd mailing list.