Date:      Sun, 23 Feb 2003 13:04:53 -0600
From:      Chip Morton <tech_info@threespace.com>
To:        FreeBSD Chat <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: was this really necessary? [ was Re: The FreeBSD Jive  Copyright ]

At 08:44 AM 2/22/2003, you wrote:
>If anybody was offended by this but of off-key humor, I wholeheartedly
>apologize.

First off, I applaud you for your apology on this issue, Stacy.  It takes
tremendous character and understanding to consider others' perspectives,
even when your own perspective tells you that you've done nothing wrong.

To all others who responded in favor of the humor or in defense of the
individual's right to free speech, I believe you've missed the point
entirely.  The jive filter isn't based on a dialect; it's based on a
centuries old stereotype of African-American speech.  The content of the
message wasn't funny at all.  But even the mind-numbingly dull GPL is funny
when you make yourself up in blackface with big white lips and add a little
shuffle, isn't it?

The simple fact is that I think most of you are too far removed from the
group you're making fun of to understand why they wouldn't find the joke
nearly as funny.  Despite being incredibly enlightened with regard to
technology, most of you are painfully ignorant with respect to
understanding anybody that's not as white-bread as you are.  Perhaps when
somebody writes the homo filter or the habib filter or the lo-wang filter
or some other filter that strikes uncomfortably close to home for you, then
you'll understand.

--Chip Morton

When they came for the gypsies, I did not speak, for I am not a gypsy.
When they came for the Jews, I did not speak, because I wasn't a Jew.
When they came for the Catholics, I did not speak, for I am not a Catholic.
And when they came for me, there was no one left to speak.