Date:      Mon, 10 Mar 2003 06:39:38 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, <freebsd-chat@freebsd.org>, Damien Tougas <damien@tougas.net>
Subject:   Re: A question about kernel modules

On Fri, 7 Mar 2003, John Baldwin wrote:

> On 07-Mar-2003 Terry Lambert wrote:
> > The GENERIC kernel is loaded from a CDROM controller BIOS faked-up
> > floppy drive, which is how CDROMs are able to boot.  Even if all
> > other issues were resolved, this floppy image would be unable to
> > contain all the necessary modules.  For the modules to be read off
> > the CDROM or other boot media, all the code in the module loading
> > path would have to be statically present (ISO9660 FS, ATA and SCSI
> > drivers, CDROM driver, etc., etc.).  By including all the drivers
> > in the GENERIC kernel, it makes it much more likely that you will
> > b able to actually install FreeBSD in the first place.
>
> FreeBSD hasn't used the floppy-emulation mode of CD booting since
> 4.6.  See /usr/src/sys/boot/i386/cdboot/cdboot.s and an El Torito
> standard for more details.

That's odd.  4.7-R required me to tell my BIOS it had a 1.44MB FD
installed (it has an LS-120 in reality) in order to boot from the CD.
The 5.0-R CD boots fine without that bit of BIOS trickery (but it lacks
drivers that 4-STABLE has, which I use (bktr for one)).

Jamie Bowden

--
"It was half way to Rivendell when the drugs began to take hold"
Hunter S Tolkien "Fear and Loathing in Barad Dur"