Date:      Sun, 16 Mar 2003 16:30:33 +0100
From:      des@ofug.org (Dag-Erling =?iso-8859-1?q?Sm=F8rgrav?=)
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@HiWAAY.net>
Cc:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: When does it make sense for a company to open-source its code?

David Kelly <dkelly@HiWAAY.net> writes:
> If I'm not mistaken, the I/O hardware for the data collection industry
> has pretty much unified and standardized on clones of National
> Intruments products? And somehow/someway yours differ?

No, he said their system was based on GPIB which is the de facto
standard you referred to - but GPIB is not much more than a physical
interface and (possibly) a transport protocol.  What you do with the
data is a whole 'nother cup of tea.  For instance, quite often you
need to repeat the same experiment or analysis over and over again
with different samples and / or slightly different parameters, so you
want some kind of GUI that controls the hardware, shows a summary of
the results, tells the operator to "insert next sample and press any
key to continue", possibly even automates changing the parameters for
every run.  Such a GUI can make the difference between three and
thirty experiments a day, which can be make-or-break for the user (a
friend of mine used to work for *the one* lab that analyses soil and
manure samples from *all of Norway* every spring, you can imagine the
kind of pressure they're under when farmers depend on those results to
determine the kind and amount of fertilizers they will need for that
year's crop)

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org