Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 2003 01:01:54 +0100 (CET)
From:      Martin Blapp <mb@imp.ch>
To:        openoffice@freebsd.org
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org, "" <rwatson@freebsd.org>, Nakata Maho <chat95@mbox.kyoto-inet.or.jp>
Subject:   About the OpenOffice.org conference in Hamburg, Germany

Hi Folks,

It was a great time in Hamburg. Although I took the night-train
to travel (it took about 10 hours), I was relaxed thursday morning.

We were about 200-250 people from all over the world. It was very
nice and interesting to see all the people I only had email contact
before in the mailing-lists. I was also happy to see maho@freebsd.org,
who does a great job in leading the effort of a localized japanese
OpenOffice.org version and helped me quite a bit to commit the freebsd
changes to the openoffice repo.

Very interesting was the speak from Michael Meeks from Ximian.
He modified and adapted OO.org to the look and feel of gnome.
It really looks better that way. I'm working to integrate some
of the gnome changes which are already present in the tree,
into our build, so there will soon be a -WITH_GNOME flag in
the Makefile.

And of course also the speak of Dan Williams, about the MacOS-X port.
They have a lot more problems than we have currently with the BSD
port, because the Aqua-Gui is lot different. So for the moment the
Mac folks only have a X11 version.

Unfortunatly I haven't been able to fix a crash in the sub-project
setup2 during the conference, altough I visited the hackers room
quite often ;). Regcomp still crashes because a Exception is not catched.
I'll look at this next week.

And before I forget it, 1.1 looks really promising, there are a bunch
of new cool features like "send document as email", or the "macromedia flash"
export filter which is really cool for presentations, the "mysql database
driver", and the macro recording feature.

The 1.1 release of Openoffice.org is scheduled to August 2003, and
I promise that we will have a updated port this time. It's also
planed after some QA to provide native FreeBSD binarys on the
OpenOffice.org download servers.

Martin