Date:      Sun, 25 May 2003 19:48:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "J. Kanowitz" <jkanowitz@snet.net>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   OT: Authoritative reference for Via 686B bugs?

This is a hardware question, but as it does not
(currently) pertain to FreeBSD, I figured I'd drop it
here before wasting a development list's time.

As some of you may know, the Eyetech AmigaOne (ATX
PowerPC board) is based on a MAI Articia S
northbridge, and a Via 686B
southbridge/multifunction-wonderchip.  Further, some
controversy is raging in that scene over "DMA bugs,"
which may or may not be rooted in the hardware.
(Reference the usual incoherent chatter on
http://www.ann.lu.)

Both the BSD world and Linux appear to have long-since
addressed the issues on the x86 platform, but it seems
the only public 'documentation' thereof is scattered
among the source tree(s) and various mailing lists and
newsgroups.  The wave of rumors and hearsay that swept
the overclocking world further cloud matters when
searching for answers 'after the fact.'

So, as a BSD user myself, the development community
seems an obvious place to turn.  Can anyone speak with
authority on *what* the 'bugs' in Via's hardware were,
 *where* they resided (686B vs. northbridges vs.
3rd-party hardware), and *how* they were addressed?

On the last point, I'm personally less concerned about
implementation detail than about understanding the
situation at-large - that is, whether there are
'fixed' and 'broken' variants of the 686B, or if the
problems never resided there at all; that sort of
big-picture info.

A retrospective look at things would be a boon not
only for Amiga nuts, but also owners of
(presumably-)affected x86 hardware- a group I happen
to count myself among.  Of course, if such a document
already exists, feel free to hit me with the URL.

-Thanks for reading, and for all the hard work!
-Joe "Floid" Kanowitz