Date:      Sun, 31 Aug 2003 00:09:47 -0700
From:      Colin Percival <colin.percival@wadham.ox.ac.uk>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@freebsd.org>, Christer Solskogen <solskogen@carebears.mine.nu>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: strip FreeBSD a bit

At 08:50 31/08/2003 +0200, Andreas Klemm wrote:
>IMHO I think its a good thing that a normal FreeBSD installation
>includes bind and sendmail. This makes FreeBSD a complete
>(standard/traditional) Unix after basic installation.

   I disagree.  There's lots of important stuff in the ports tree -- cvsup,
portupgrade, various languages -- which are pretty basic elements of
FreeBSD these days.  No sane person is going to be running just the base
FreeBSD system except in very unusual circumstances.
   The ports tree may have once been a set of FreeBSD ports of software
written for other operating systems, but it is now useful primarily as a
packaging system.  Ideally, things like sendmail and bind would be taken
out of the base system, and sysinstall would offer people the option of
installing sendmail/qmail/exim/portfix/nothing and bind/djbdns/nothing; for
that matter, most things under contrib/ are probably good candidates for
removing from base.
   The problem, of course, is actually getting it done.

Colin Percival