Date:      Sun, 7 Dec 2003 10:02:45 -0500
From:      "fbsd_user" <fbsd_user@a1poweruser.com>
To:        "Michael Lopez" <bsdfreakish@yahoo.com>, <freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: ipfw + natd + ppp

FYI   IPFW and stateful rules has an long time bug when used with
IPFW's built in NATD function. User ppp has it's own NAT function.
You are much better off using User ppp and it's built in NAT
function and IPFW without the divert rule.  On the other hand FBSD
also has an second firewall called IPFILTER and it has it's own NAT
function called IPNAT. Both IPFW and IPFILTER come embedded in FBSD
as part of the install. IPFW is authored by the FBSD project and as
such it gets unfair preferred treatment in the FBSD handbook. The
handbook leads the reader into believing IPFW is the only firewall
FBSD has to offer. IPFW is targeted at the professional and the home
power user, not the newbe. IPFW is loaded with code bloat and is
getting worse now that it has been rewritten as IPFW2 and the bug
was not fixed because it's in the NATD module and that was not
rewritten. IPFW is not user friendly and IPFILTER is much more user
friendly and it's stateful rules work without any problems. People
who are members of the IPFW maintenance team tell me the MATD module
code is an can of worms and nobody wants to touch it. If you decide
to use IPFILTER I can point you to an very good how-to.   And as a
side note in FBSD 4.9 the ports collection has an new port added for
the IPF firewall.  So you really have 3 chooses of firewall
software. I have not tested the IPF port so I have no comments on it
yet.