Date:      Sun, 17 Aug 2003 15:06:24 -0700
From:      Erick Smith <desertfox@cableaz.com>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Large ClientServer app...some info

OK, at this time I can't be too specific, but I'm working on it.

The reason I can't be too specific is because the jdk doesn't actually report
any errors, it simply hangs.

The Details:

This is a client-Server app with the client delivered via an Applet (JApplet
actually) in a web page.  Accessible from the internet.  You can check it out
yourself at:

http://www.manifestdestinygame.com/testMD-BSD.html

Bear in mind the version running on the web page is using the
linux-sun-jdk1.4.1 because this works, albeit slow.

When using the native jdk, the server locks up before clients can even access
it.  It locks up parsing text files using the tokenizer.  It hangs usually
during the second use of my parser class (I can make the code accessible if
you need it, it's not too complicated).  However, if I do less reporting to
the console, the parser will last til the 3rd run through (3 seperate txt
files, same parser code), so perhaps this is a garbage collection issue.  The
text files are quite long (>10000 entries in some cases), and the Parser
seems to lock generally after about 3000 tokens processed, again though, this
can be manipulated to hang during the second or third pass.

The client side hangs waiting for information from the socket.  I'm not sure
how relavant this is though, because the only time I can get the native-jdk
to connect is when the server is using the linux-sun base because otherwise
the server hangs before sockets are set up.

Again, the JVM says nothing to the console or otherwise, the system just
hangs.

I hope this helps some.  As I  said, I'd be willing to post code if necc., so
long as it isn't redistributed for any other purpose than fixing the native
jdk.

Thanks,

Erick Smith